So we took a break last week, but we are back at it as we enter the excitement new academic year. What better place for us to revisit the design thinking mindset of empathy that we began in episode 15. In this episode number 18, Angela, Ben and I reflect on our gut reactions to the nuances of that word itself, empath, and if it is the best fit for that phase of design thinking. As usual, we also mixed concepts of empathy with fun chatter around good food and music also. Hope you enjoy the conversation.
Next week, we are looking forward to welcoming back to the microphone Dr. Steven Crawford to help us reflect on the first iteration of the Innovation Lab and envision directions together of the next one for 2017. It’s going to be fun.
Buckle your seatbelt, folks. You’re about to be LabCasted.
Digging Into Empathy
- Let’s unpack the video a little bit – what makes total sense in here? And which parts are hard to tackle or implement?
- How does empathy connect to the define stage of the design thinking process? Are they concrete steps or squidged up for you?
- Do you think that empathy is one of the easier or one of the harder steps in the design thinking process?
- Have you had a recent moment where you have had to be empathetic and it has been a struggle? A stretch? A chore?
- I struggle with the term Empathy because it is often contextualized in terms of being the preferred response to an intense or sharp event that would otherwise invoke the action of sympathy. But do you think that there is a similar dichotomy in design thinking as well of empathy vs. sympathy?
- Design Kit Video on Empathy from IDEO
- Richard Saul Wurman, Creator of TED Conference: “I hate being spoken To. I love learning.” – YouTube (Author of Pending Book called “Understanding Understanding” and about 83 other books to date)
- Outkast – SpottieOttieDopaliscious – YouTube
- The New Pornographers – “Challengers” – YouTube
- Pinegrove- Aphasia (Acoustic) – YouTube
- Dana Gioia’s Poem “Entrance“
- Music shared from the Free Music Archive: Scott Holmes – song: “Infrastructure“